Some connections never die.
“Important encounters are planned by the souls long before the bodies see each other.”— Paulo Coelho The idea of having lived before can be difficult to wrap your head around. As humans, we’re so ingrained in the here and now; caught up in our current life drama. That’s completely normal. It’s easy to believe that this present physical life is the only reality. It’s not as if we have tangible evidence to prove that we once walked the earth in a different skin in another lifetime, any more than we have concrete memories of knowing someone before actually meeting them. All we’ve got are peculiar feelings, Déjà vu-like memories and an uncanny sense of familiarity. Reincarnation, also known as metempsychosis, transmigration, resurrection or life after death, is most characteristic of Eastern philosophy, New Age and religious beliefs that centers around the rebirthing of our non-physical essence (or soul) beginning a new life in a different physical body after death. No doubt you’ve heard of this phenomenon as a past life, where your soul is born into another person after you expire from …. erm…. this life. I know, the thought of being the same but not can be a bit mind-boggling and maybe even a little far-fetched. As if body-hopping is only reserved for evil serial killer entities in supernatural horror films. Except, there are many scientific experts out there with thousands of case studies behind them who believe that reincarnation is, in fact, genuine. For instance, the late Dr Ian Stevenson dedicated much of his career to finding evidence of reincarnation. And while there can be never be irrefutable proof that reincarnation is a real thing, his work has supplied evidence suggesting in its reality. Thinking about the soul and past lives always brings me back to Dr. Wayne Dyer and his book, Wishes Fulfilled, where he quoted an ancient spiritual avatar about the ‘real’. “What is real?” Guru was asked. “What is real is that which never changes,” he replied. More from the book:
“When looking for what is real and unchanging about ourselves, we can apply this definition. There is an unchanging spark from the Creator in each of us, our highest self, a piece of God. And we are all connected.”The way I see it is that your soul is the unchanging spark which remains the same after your present body has exhausted itself. This can definitely account for the fact that we are not just limited to one body and one life experience. Perhaps, body-hopping isn’t just something that happens in movies after all.
Have you ever encountered someone for the first time, yet instantly felt as if you’ve known them before? I have. It’s the strangest and most incredible feeling. A few years back, I met someone who instantly struck a mystifying sense of familiarity in me. The feeling was so powerful that it overtook my entire being to the point that even though I tried to brush it aside, it was impossible to ignore. Eventually, I began to accept that this was something different than I’d ever known with anyone else. I just intuitively knew that there was a soul history between us and became aware that it wasn’t in the scope of my intellectual understanding. I realized that I was deeply connected to this person, even though I had no explanation as to why I felt that way. You’re curious. You may have met someone who feels oddly familiar without reason, and who ignites a powerful sensation that can uplift your heart as much as kill you on the inside. Have you encountered someone from a past life? Here’s a few signs that might help you determine if it’s the real deal:
Obscure MemoriesMeeting someone who activates deep soul recognition from a past life is an intense and unique experience that cannot be mistaken for anything other than an eternal bond. You don’t consciously know it or think, “Hey, I know you from a past life”, but you do understand it at some level — the unchanging spark within you knows sacred secrets from bygone eras. You just know that your soul and theirs have shared time before. You have no idea how or why, but you begin to remember unclear moments that manifest as random visions, flashbacks, dreams and feelings not experienced in this lifetime with this person. You may even begin to question your sanity at times.
- You feel an immediate “out of this world “connection with this person.
- You experience a strange knowing that he or she was always in your life, even before they arrived.
- The encounter and interactions conjure up an unexplainable well of deep emotions within you.
- Confusion is your new friend as your mind struggles to catch up with your heart and soul knowledge.
- You light up and synchronize with them right away.
The Sound of Their Voice Affects YouHearing the voice of a past life mate is much like coming home. Their tone seems to vibrate at a frequency that was always meant to resonate with your energetic essence. As if it was some pre-determined signal organized between your souls before incarnation so that you may recognize each other. Their sound is comforting; arousing nostalgic sensations and the deeply sentimental, and their laughter may hanker on your heart like a wistful yesteryear.
- You feel lost and found all at the same time.
- You sense a shift within, revealing parts of yourself you didn’t know existed.
- All your existing plans become irrelevant as he or she totally redesigns your life.
- You slowly understand that you will never look at life the same way.
- You feel as if you could listen to them forever.
- Their voice activates and unlocks your heart to create a higher meaning of love within.
They Feel Like Unfinished Business
“Connection doesn’t care about the laws of the land; your soul will be pulled to the place it belongs.”— Unknown Just as the sound of their voice brings you undone, so does the sense of unending “soul” business with this person. As if they have appeared in your life to challenge you in some way. Famous psychic, Michelle Knight teaches us about past life encounters:
“The souls with whom we have the deepest connection and with whom we have chosen to learn and grow with, are the ones who are there to teach us the most profound lessons. And sometimes these lessons are not easy. Just because you have known one another in a past life does not mean it will all be love and happy endings in this one.”These challenges can manifest as either positive or negative, and the bigger the contradictions and/or obstacles, the more you will have to grow on a soul level in order to meet and understand the higher meaning. This characteristic is one of the greatest signs that you’ve met a profound soul connection from a past life here, because this person will push you to seek new meaning and discover personal uncharted territory just by showing up in your life. They will force you to do the inner-work.
- The mere presence of this person demands truth and honesty at a deeply authentic level like you’ve never before experienced.
- You experience a slight pulse that begins in your soul and grows intense when confronting deep truths and facing your demons.
- They excite, repel and delight you as you are propelled into intense introspection, self-actualization and startling moments of clarity.
- You feel your soul expanding and evolving as new revelations pour forth.
- Your mind and heart blows wide open to the possibilities.
- You begin to see everything differently.
- You begin to distinguish between real and illusionary realities.
- You can see right through them and them through you.
- You discover in yourself a strength that you never knew existed.
- They have a knack for making you feel unimportant and important simultaneously — they can break or lift you like no other.
- You sense what they represent to you at an intricate level.
- You know that the connection is much more than yourself and this lifetime, and realize that they are a part of you and it will always be so.
Feeling of belongingYou feel as if you’ve gazed into their eyes a thousand times before. What you see reflecting back at you is a great sense of belonging — your mirror in another person through to your soul. As well, time and space mean nothing and your connection remains strong even when you’re apart. The feeling of belonging is in their eyes that ignite an inner-journey toward your whole self, and the perfectly orchestrated path that led you to the exact moment of correspondence. Belonging is in the dreams and constant confirming signs, and the way you know each other’s thoughts and emotions without having to speak it out loud. It’s in the ease in which the relationship evolves through your soul.
- You feel like a different person around them.
- You might feel as if your very survival depends on this person remaining in your life in a certain way.
- You begin to merge with your subconscious-self, which does not differentiate between past, present and future.
- Your sense of time surrounding this person becomes irrelevant.
- You feel an intimate connection with them, even if you do not spend time together.
- You feel an intense longing to be close to them.
- You may feel that earth is not your true home.
- You yearn to go home.
- You have a great affinity for this person that continues to grow over time.
- You now have a profound sense of wisdom and an unusual capacity to see the deeper meaning in life’s events.
If you’ve experienced these feelings and sensations before, then you have likely encountered someone from a past life who you have run into once again on your current journey. Trust your intuition and be mindful of how you feel. And always remember that meeting someone of this soul-significance is a gift that should always be treated with the highest respect and honor.
Originally published by Living Out Loud on Medium